Tuesday 17 January 2012

Down the vagina trail

"This journey has taken me to Afghanistan where I had the extraordinary honor and privilege to go into parts of Afghanistan under Taliban. I was dressed in a burqa and I went in with an extraordinary group called the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan and I saw first-hand how women had been stripped of every single right women can be stripped of, from being educated, to being employed, to being actually allowed to eat ice-cream. For those of you who don't know it, it was illegal to eat ice-cream under the Taliban. And I actually saw and met women who had been flogged for eating vanilla ice-cream, and I was taken to secret ice-cream eating place in a little town, and we went in to back room where women were seated and a curtain was pulled around us, and we were served vanilla ice cream, and women lifted their burqas and ate this ice-cream, and I don't think I ever understood pleasure until that moment, and how women had found a way to keep their pleasure alive"



No comments:

Post a Comment