Saturday 26 February 2011

Odd Future - "I am a fucking unicorn and you're not gonna tell me that I'm fucking not"

I think comparing Odd Future to Insane Clown Posse is both fitting and reductive. This article by Mehan Jayasuriya makes solid points on how difficult it is to place Tyler et al in a context of lineage (gross out punk? horrorxcore hip hop? not-yet formed self-perpetuated future genre?) and how doing so can be disruptive, and have the potential to reveal strains of cultural bias in music criticism. I think Caroline Ryder of LA Weekly got close to it when she said the crew are operating under "influences they don't even know they have yet", which I think is true for a number of artists/bands/genres these days.

The ICP mention reminded me of Jon Ronson's interview with the evangelist juggalos from last year, which is well worth checking out if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment